Friday, September 19, 2014

Minor Muse


She regards the deepening hues with pleasure,
Cheeks alight with the faint rumors of beckoning frost,
Willowy stature uncoiled and bent upon something.

"Sometimes I wake,"

She says, and the privilege of being thus welcomed
Into a thought mid-stream is not lost on me.
I can hear the weight of it on her tongue.
 
"I wake,"

Says she, knotting the dilemma in her brow,
"and I have been somewhere like a forest,
or a meadow,
and something's there."

Eyes darting as one half expecting to catch a glimpse
Of the allusive sprite,
My Minor Muse dims her light,
And something expires on her lips.

"Something's there,
and I almost have it.
And I just can't get it."

With locked gaze,
Bemusement melting her countenance like sadness,
She asks simply,

"What is it?"

And thankful for a ready spark,
I reply with the expediency
Of taking out an umbrella,

"Honey, that's joy."

And as I nervously search the horizon
For the object of her scrutiny
She inflates
As with new hope
And asks,

"Daddy, when's it gonna snow?"

No comments: